December 15, 2016

Los Angeles Trip: Part 2

It's been a month since my last post. I didn't mean to go so long in between but classes, work and Etsy projects got the better of me.

For our final day in Los Angeles we tend to take things easy. Saturday is for running around checking out new places and Sunday is for the Getty and more good eats.

Entrance to Smorgasburg LA
After checking out of our hotel we headed over to the Row DTLA to checkout Smorgasburg LA. Smorgasburg is a food and shopping even that happens every Sunday. It was a bit tricky to find at first but we eventually ended up in the right spot by following the flow of people. Parking is free for Smorgasburg visitors. And just a tip for animal lovers: while Smorgasburg LA is free to go to they do not allow animals into the event area.

I will admit that my expectations were high and that I was a bit let down by how many vendors were there. Lots of restaurant choices but not as many shopping ones were available. Hopefully that changes by the next time we're up there because I love supporting local makers and businesses. I did end up taking home some all natural deodorant (which I'm in love with, by the way) but nothing else caught my eye shopping-wise.

Lunch

For our lunch feast we decided on trying 3 places: Burritos La Palma, Mama Musubi and Stoked. The burritos were delicious; probably my favorite bean and cheese that I've had which is saying something. The musubi was standard yet delicious and the tri-tip from Stoked was perfectly cooked. Overall, the meal was satisfying and a great way to start off our Sunday.

Smorgasburg LA
785 Bay St, Los Angeles CA 90021

Next up was our standard visit to the Getty. My boyfriend's only stipulation for our Los Angeles trips is a visit to the Getty. Always a gorgeous time with rotating exhibits and the famous gardens. This time around instead of taking the tram back down we decided to walk down the hill to the parking garage. The weather was perfect for the walk and it was nice and peaceful.

Getty Garden
Getty Entrance
The Getty Center
1200 Getty Center Dr, Los Angeles CA 90049

After spending a couple of hours at the Getty it was time to start our trek back home. But first, Little Tokyo and a must stop each visit: Marugame Monzo.

Marugame Monzo is a small restaurant that just does one thing, udon. They make their udon in house and when they're running low you'll see them roll out and cut more fresh noodles. They make the best udon noodles that I've ever tried. The noodles are cooked perfectly and have the right amount of chew to them. I haven't been disappointed by anything that I've tried and I feel like the food served is worth the almost constant wait.

Tempura appetizer


Mad Tiger Udon

Cold udon with soft boiled egg

To start we had the tempura appetizer. Pretty standard with the exception of the shiso leaf. Nothing to write home about but it was perfectly fried and not at all oily like some tempura can be.

The boyfriend decided to try out one of their specials, the Mad Tiger udon. The Mad Tiger was served cold with spicy ground pork, soft boiled egg, green onions, chives and bonito flakes. I decided on the simple cold udon with soft boiled egg because I wanted double noodles. Both versions come with cold sauce that you pour into your bowl and mix in with the udon and toppings.

Marugame Monzo
329 E 1st St, Los Angeles CA 90012

Overall our weekend trip up to Los Angeles was a success. Good eats, great sights and, surprisingly, super relaxing. I wouldn't want to live in LA but I do like visiting. I think our next trip up will end up being a day longer so we can make a trek out to Malibu.




No comments :

Post a Comment