September 30, 2016

September Favorites


I can't believe that tomorrow is the official start of October already. I guess the months really do go by quicker when you're older.

This month my favorites are pretty much all skincare related. The mash up of heat, cold, humidity and dryness we've been experiencing lately in Southern California has really done a number on my skin so my focus has been on combating everything the weather has thrown at it.

1. The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% serum ($5.90 for 30ml): First off, I'll admit that I haven't been using this long enough to see a drastic change in my skin but I have seen some good results in the few weeks that I've incorporated it into my routine. I have less redness and the closed comedones and pimples that do occasionally pop up are smaller and not as apparent. I really like what The Ordinary is doing: bare bones formulas at fantastic prices. The niacinamide serum I purchased is slightly viscous and dries fairly matte so don't expect a super hydrating serum. I also enjoy the minimalist packaging and the dropper gives out the perfect amount of product for my whole face. I plan on trying their retinol and vitamin c serums soon. 

2. Humphrey's lilac witch hazel skin softening toner (around $5.90 for 8oz): I was first attracted to this toner because of the label, it's gorgeous (thanks, aunt Jenny!). I recently ran out of my toner and when I saw the lilac version at Marshall's I snapped it up. The formula is great; it's alcohol free and has some great ingredients. Besides the witch hazel it also contains some of my favorite things: hyaluronic acid, all the teas and aloe. It's soothing but also takes off all the extra grime that my micellar water and foam cleanser leave behind. 

3. Etude House Sunprise Mild Airy Finish Sun Milk (about $11.50 for 1.85oz): I love Asian sunscreens. They're cosmetically elegant and wear great under makeup and they don't have that typical sunscreen smell to them. Out of the multitude that I've tried I think this Etude House one is my favorite so far. It's mattifying but doesn't dry out my skin like Biore's offerings do. It also sinks in quickly so I can be ready for makeup after only 10 minutes. The quicker my routine is in the AM, the better! This may be the first one since Shiseido's hada senka that I will actually repurchase. 

4. Anastasia Beverly Hills stick foundation ($25 for .32oz): I love the ease of use of stick foundations. A few swipes, blend and you're done. I've tried a few different offerings (Bobbi Brown, Hourglass and Revlon's though Revlon's is more for touch ups) and unfortunately they've been more geared towards normal to dry skin. They good great at first but after a few hours my oily skin shines through and it's not pretty. When ABH announced a stick foundation for us oily skinned guys and gals I knew that I had to try it, especially at that price point. So far it's been excellent. The formula is on the drier side so normal/dry skinned people will want to prep for that but the finish and wear time on me is fantastic. It's a natural matte finish and even though I still have to blot halfway through a work shift my skin looks natural and not like an oil slick. I can't attest to the full coverage claim but I really love how it looks applied with a Beauty Blender; I end up with a "my skin but better" look. 

No comments :

Post a Comment